Brandon
Hatmaker
.com
Legacy House: Resident Director
by Brandon Hatmaker on January 29th, 2013

Teenage girls aging out of foster care and/or orphanages are known as the highest "at risk" group in our nation. It’s estimated that a teenage girl on the streets will be approached within 48 hours by a “pimp”, resulting for many in a season or even a lifetime of sex slavery (See the stats below). So much work is being put into rescue, and so little into prevention. Without prevention, the cycle continues.
This may be closer to home than you think. Not long ago I met a 30-something year old woman visiting our church. She had come with an ANC family attempting to help her transition off the streets of Austin. After a season of prostitution, drug abuse, and panhandling… she was trying to find a way to start over.

She was bright, well spoken, and had a hopeful look in her eye. And after spending some time with her I asked the question, “How did you get to where you are now?”

I’ll never forget what she said next.

“I was 18 years old when I aged out of foster care. And as I sat on that street corner with a small government check and a duffle bag with everything I owned inside… I thought to myself, ‘what do I do now’? And it was like I had the word ‘vulnerable’ written across my forehead. And the men out there… the men… it’s like they were predators who could just sense my vulnerability.”

We've got to do something.

ANC is proud to announce a new partnership with Caring Family Network and LifeWorks Austin. Together we are piloting a program called “Legacy House” in which we will be working directly with these young women in helping them finish high school (or get their diploma equivalent), transition into work and/or college, and find a sustainable living situation. Along the way, teaching them the life skills necessary to live a successful adult life. Our hope is to develop a reproducible process that can one day be utilized across the Austin area (and other cities). But for now, we are starting with a single house in south Austin just a stone’s throw from Austin New Church.

We are currently looking for a Female Resident Director to live in the home and work with the 1-4 girls in the program along side their caseworkers, mentors, and sponsors. This position has a lot of flexibility (we want the position to fit the person) and includes all housing and living expenses. Since the girls will either be at work, school, or training throughout the day, this position comes with some flexibility on finding a job or maintaining a current job in Austin. We would also consider offering additional income for anyone seeking to relocate here to be a part of the ministry. We are hoping to fill the position in the next 30 days.

Please take a moment to help us out. If you or someone you know might be a good candidate for this position, please click HERE to ask us a question or let us know of your interest (sorry, we are no longer taking applications). .

In the meantime, please repost this to facebook, tweet it, email it, repost on your blog… or do whatever you can to help us find the right (amazing) person to help us walk along side of these young women.

Statistics (Based on studies done by Orphan Hope International, Casey Family Programs, and the State of the Worlds Children Report):
  • 15,000 orphans age out of state-run institutions every year in the US:
  • 46% will not earn a high school diploma or GED
  • 98% will not earn a Bachelors Degree
  • 51% will be unemployed.
  • 30% will not have health care/insurance although they qualify for Medicaid
  • 15-20% will commit suicide within the first year.
  • 25% will have experienced homelessness within the first year.
  • 30-40% will have been arrested within the first year.
  • 84% will become parents within the first year.
  • 60% of the girls become prostitutes and 70% of the boys become "hardened criminals".
  • 1.2 million children are trafficked every year... 70% of the victims of Human Trafficking in the US were foster kids.
Factors proven to reduce this numbers dramatically (up to 50%)
  • Emphasize permanency: Connect youth with supportive adults & systems.
  • Develop a written transition plan.
  • Ensure completion of HS Diploma
  • Increase education support Networks to keep all avenues of education open.
  • Provide toolbox of important personal docs: Birth Certificates, ID, SS Card, etc…
  • Educate on addiction and substance abuse.
  • Increase access to Health Insurance.

We believe we can provide each of these and much, much, more for the kids coming into this program. Simply giving a place for a girl to be encouraged (as an adult) to finish their high school degree is significant. Having someone help them transition to whatever next is rare.

Posted in not categorized    Tagged with no tags

28 Comments

Erin Beth - January 29th, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Hey Brandon, I don't think your "click here" link is working. Thanks for this.
BH - January 29th, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Thx Erin. Should be working now ;)
amy - January 29th, 2013 at 4:32 PM
this. this is my heart.
i have been talking about starting a home like this for about 3 years.
too soon for me, still have 6 kids at home,
but this.
this is where it is.

Krista - January 29th, 2013 at 5:13 PM
This is my heart too. SO awesome to see this start! Would love to be a Mentor. Will those roles also be open at some point?
Sallye - January 29th, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Question, one of the things that makes these girls so vulnerable is the lack of a family support system. What tools are you going to employee to make sure these girls have a permanant lasting support group? These are girls that are going to need a safe place to run for the rest of their lives. We that are blessed call it parents and home. How in the future are you going to make girls that are "aging out" aware of this program?
Tomi - January 29th, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Soon the complete wrap around services between what you are doing and Restore A Voice it will be awesome!
Helen Ramaglia - January 29th, 2013 at 8:04 PM
You are incredible! www.fromfostertofabulous.com A former foster child. I would love to bring this idea to North Atlanta.
Ashley N. Williams - January 31st, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Check out BeLoved Atlanta- they are working to do this there!
Howard K. Holmes - January 29th, 2013 at 10:38 PM
We'll be praying for this new ministry! It's certainly needed in any large city! Hope all is well with you and yours!
Karmin - January 29th, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Are you familiar with/aware of The Settlement Home's adult-living transition home? It's just like this. Settlementhome.org (I foster with them). They could be a great resource for you, as they've been doing it for a few years!
Judy langley - January 30th, 2013 at 4:06 AM
Incredible ministry, Brandon! When we visit my brother in Austin sometime in the spring, we look forward to attending your church.
Tara - January 30th, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Amen! We're opening our 2 "spare" bedrooms here to older, teenage foster girls who are pregnant. Praying we can give them some skills and permanency. Knowing also that Jesus will transform our little family through them as much as He uses us to transform their lives.
Alison Clinton - January 30th, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Our church (Mosaic Church of Central AR) partners with a couple in our church who started a non-profit called Immerse Arkansas for kids aging out of the foster care system here in Little Rock (and beyond), AR. Several of those kids go to our church and they have the most precious hearts. http://www.immersearkansas.org
tori - January 30th, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Brandon,
Oh how my heart is torn. I am so honored to hear of your work. I have been working on creating a home for Minor Victims of Sex trafficking here in Wichita. I am a survivor of domestic sex trafficking and I am from Wichita Ks. I am not the typical story most hear of. It was my parents who forced me to have sex with males to get what they wanted. This situation is more common than most know.
While completing my MBA I wrote a business plan, bylaws conflict of interest... and so on. I am working on my paperwork to become a non- profit because Christ has called me to use his rescue to his glory and help youth are rescued from the horror that is hidden within our country. It has been a long process and road but I know Gods glory will reign. His healing will bring restoration to lives that have been disrupted.
If you ever need someone to share I would love to share how Christ rescued me from my experience and blessed me with healing and strength. It is often helpful to employees to see inside a victim%u2019s heart and mind.It is also encouraging to know that Christ is vital to ones healing process. Individuals who endure such torment will never be the same. This evil takes something from an individual that we can never get back. I will continue to pray for your ministry and impact you all will leave on these young ladies. I will pray that God will bring healing to the girls whom you will care for.
In Christ
Tori Duling

Sarah M. - January 30th, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Those statistics made me sick to my stomach. I wish this could be me, but my job is the type that would need at least 6 months, possibly more, to train someone new and get ready to relocate. You can count on my prayers, though.
Name - January 30th, 2013 at 12:33 PM
This sounds awesome! I will be praying about this ministry!
jessica - January 30th, 2013 at 12:34 PM
So awesome! As a social worker that has worked on both ends of the spectrum: in a residential shelter for teens in foster care, and now as a program director at an adult homeless shelter in Fort Worth, I know very well how vulnerable and victimized these young women become after leaving the system. I love seeing a church not only speak about caring for orphans and social justice, but actually doing it. These young girls are essentialy orphans among us, but too often once they become adults, we dont have as much compassion. Thanks for leading the way and if there is anything that we can do to support this effort, let us know !
Alyssa Olsen - January 30th, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I was told by three people (within 24hrs) that I should look into this...I did and am excited to see where God takes this.
Robin - January 30th, 2013 at 9:47 PM
This makes my heart rejoice! What an amazing ministry!
Laura Westcott - January 31st, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Hi Brandon! I just received this message from a former seminary colleague of mine who believes this ministry would be perfect for me, and I agree! I currently live in Austin ( next to the downtown capital) and am dying to minister to young girls such as this. My only draw-back is that I am recently married ( so living there with the girls would not be an option) but if there is at all anything else I can do to help please let me know! My previous job was with Young Life in Dallas working with the inner-city youth, as well as the Young Ladies Minister in the Dallas Housing Authority, and much work orphans in various parts of the world. Please call me at 512-351-0088, thanks!!!
Annie - January 31st, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I got a link to this post from a friend who thought I'd be interested in this position, and I am! Unfortunately the link isn't working, so I'll express my interest here.

I currently live in MI but am looking to relocate to TX. I have a heart for women and encouraging them to live full lives, a ministry I currently undertake on my own blog. My email is annie@anniewiltse.com and I'm happy to provide a resume and references as needed, as well as available to move when necessary. Is there an email I could contact directly to express further interest for this program as well as ask some questions?
Lauren - February 1st, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Is there a website for this ministry project?
Michelle - February 1st, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I know this is new for you, but this is exactly what I have been wanting to do where I live. I would love to hear how much cost goes into this as well as how you may have gone about partnering with other agencies who do not have the same christian values?
Did you go about this by starting a non-profit ? Also, Is there a good place to find information on the legalities/liabilities of housing women. I want to at least be able to start a place for the women to live and have the church bring meals and offer bible studies and support even if they all the help they were getting were from various community agencies. I think the resources are out there in my community to find the funding, but would need help to figure out the logistics.
Any initial help you could provide would be wonderful.
If this is too soon to answer my questions I totally understand, but am looking forward to seeing this turn into a model for other churches to follow.
Amy G - February 2nd, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I would be interested in finding out more about this ministry, but the link is not working. Please contact me at malikayeshan@gmail.com.

Thanks!
Amy Gagel
Ann Jorgensen - February 3rd, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I could not get the link to work either, but would be interested in knowing more about this position. You can contact me at annjorg@gmail.com

Thanks,
Ann Jorgensen
Erica Saegert - February 4th, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I would love a chance to get to know more about this position! My email is ericasaegert@gmail.com

Thanks,
Erica Saegert
Maddison - February 4th, 2013 at 3:37 PM
The click "HERE" link isn't working, but I know someone who would be a perfect fit in your ministry. How can I get her involved?
Thanks so much,
Maddison
Brandon Hatmaker - February 11th, 2013 at 11:58 AM
We believe so many of you to be capable and qualified to fill this position and are humbled to hear your stories and for your consideration in being a part of what we're doing in Austin.

We have identified five candidates we believe best fit the criteria for this position. Each of those candidates have now been contacted by phone and been invited to the next round of face-to-face interviews in Austin.

Please know that we will continue to keep each of you in our prayers as we seek God's best in serving the orphan. We're praying that God gives you clarity on what you can and should do next. And we pray that somehow just the idea of Legacy House has sparked something within each of you that will result in something extraordinary.

Thank you once again and blessings to each of you.
Brandon